
Crich Baptist Church
The Baptist presence in Crich began around 1826 when preaching was introduced to the village by Godfrey Theophilus Pike, brother of J.G Pike, the minister at Brook Street in Derby. The earliest gatherings may have taken.place outdoors or in private homes as formal records are scarce. By 1850, the General Baptist Church was formerly constituded with 20 members,growing to 31 by the following year.. Early membership also increased through the addition of members from near by Belper following the relocation of the Belper Minister
Formation of.the new chapel
The purchase of property for a dedicated chapel was a major step for the congregation . The Baptists acquired the old Wheeldon House in Crich Market Place around the 1870’s, despite legal challenges that delayed formal transfer. This purchase allowed the congregation to plan a purpose built chapel
Construction of the Market Place Chapel
Construction began in mid 1877.The new chapel was designed with a width a 38 feet. QuarryStone for the building was sourced from local quarries including Parish Quarry and Duke’s Quarry at Whatstandwell. The estimated cost for construction was L 349-17-00 for labor excluding materials, though total expenses rose to over l,500 due to additional cost.
The architectural style of the building is Italianate Classical with strong non conformist Romanesque Revival overtones.
The church is spacious and constructed of cut stone, showing some attention to architectual architectural display characteristics of the 19th century non.conformist chapels. Its style.is described as an imitation of the Norman style , evident in semi circular arches, robust masonry, and historically inspired detailing. The facade includes elements such as
Semi -circular headed windows beneath curved hoodmoulds, with moulded stops and quoined surrounds
Central doorway with a qoined surround and semi circular arch supported by short circular columns with foliage capitals
Perimeter central section, modillioned cornices, asklar friezes and a gablet containing a chiming clock
Roof covered in.Staffordshire Blue Tile, common for Victorian-era churches in Derbyshire