Wares Creek Bridge 9th Avenue West Bradenton, Fl
The original bridge was built in 1938. It was designed by Freeman Horton. The bridge type was concrete arch. It was one of the oldest in Florida. It was constructed by Bradenton Public Works using federal funds. It was 36.4 feet in length.
It was demolished in 2012 and replaced with a more modern one
Little White Church
In January, 1917, the Presbyterian Church of Bee Ridge Florida was founded with 29 charter members. Mrs. Potter Palmer presented the congregation with two corner lots at the corner of Procter and McIntosh. A loan was secured for construction of a new church. The new church was dedicated December 7, 1919.
In 1926, a major hurricane demolished the church. While the church was being rebuilt, services were held in the Bee Ridge Baptist Church. The new church was rebuilt in 1927.
In 1927, the church was struck with lightning and burned to the ground. During the rebuilding project the Congregation worshiped in the Bee Ridge Women’s Club.
In 1927, a new wood frame church in the Gothic Revival Style opened in 1927. It contained a sanctuary, narthex and 2 classrooms. It was dedicated in October 1927. Congregation grew in the 1940’s. A new sanctuary and an educational building were erected. The Little White Church was relocated to the back of the property in 1956.
In 1989, the Albritton family completed a restoration. of the church. The Little White Church is used for 8:30 am Sunday service, small groups, weddings and special services.
Union Missionary Baptist Church 404 Warfield Ave Venice, Fl
In 1954, Albert Blackburn donated a plot of land at 404 Warfield, Venice to the Union Missionary Baptist Church. Local architect donated his services, local builder donated surveying, and local businesses and churches donated money and material to the effort.
The pastor Reverend Joseph Daugherty and the parishioners opted to build the church themselves. Daugherty was a mason and brick layer and did the bulk of the work. Still under construction, the church was dedicated on Easter Sunday 1955.
Reverend James Sims succeeded Daugherty in 1956. He oversaw an expansion in 1960 for a space that was used for education, recreation, and dining. The building was significantly damaged by a flood from a busted sewage pipe in 2003. It was 2 years before the church reopened.
Rose Hill Apartment 504 Armada Street South Venice, Florida
This is one of several apartments built by W.G. Worrall from Tampa, Florida. It was built for worker housing near downtown Venice. As a result of the Florida land bust and the Depression, the building fell into disrepair. It was scheduled for demolition.
It was however saved and restored. It is currently a condominium building.
Lord Higel House 409 Granada Avenue Venice, Fl.
This house was named the Lord- Higel House. It was constructed in 1896 by Joseph H. Lord. It was located on a 90 acre site south of Roberts Bay.
The building style is Queen Anne Vernacular. It was 2 stories high with a wrap around porch. It was constructed fat lighter pine. The first floor exterior was clad with wood plank. The second floor exterior was shingle.
In 1950, the house was moved to Laguna Drive. Its wrap around porch was removed for the move. It was converted to a duplex.
In 1990 it was reconverted to a single.
George Higel lived in the house from 1905 to 1919. He was the manager of the 90 acre citrus grove on which the house was located.
The house was donated to the city of Venice in 2005. It was moved again to a lot on Granada Street. It is currently undergoing a restoration and renovation.
Haensel House 613 West Venice Avenue Venice, Fl
This two story Mediterranean Style house was built by developer Oren Ward in 1925. It sat empty for years. Fitshugh Hansel bought the house for back taxes. It was his winter home for 30 years.