The National Shrine of Our Lady of LaLeche is a Catholic Marian Shrine. It is located on the grounds of of the Nombre Dios Mission in Saint Augustine, Florida. It was first built in 1609. It is the oldest shrine in the United States. It was elevated to national shrine status in 2019.
Under the command of Pedro Menendez de Aviles and the spiritual leadership of Father Francisco Lopez de Mendoza Grajales, OFM, an expedition arrived in what was to be Florida in 1565. The priest celebrated the first mass in America. The mission Nombre de Dios was established.
The Spanish settlers brought with them the Spanish devotion to Nuestra Senora de La Leche y Buen Parto. (Our Lady of the Milk and Good Delivery)
The original Shrine was built in 1609. It was destroyed by British Invaders in 1728. It was rebuilt in 1875. The current Shrine was built in 1918. It seats approximately 30 people.