In the mid 1880’s, Alexander and Eleonora Kern and their two children relocated to the Clermont, Florida area. They purchased 8 vacant lots on Montrose Street in Clermont. On one of these lots, they built their 2 story wood frame house in 1885.
Alexander Kern built and operated the first public water system. In 1897, he purchased the Wilson General Merchandise Store. This was located at Montrose and 8th Street in Clermont. He operated this store until 1908.
The Kern House was relocated to the Clermont Historic Village in 2006.