The first Tavares and Gulf Railroad Depot in Winter Garden was built in 1899.It was an all wooden structure. A replacement depot was built in 1913. It was a one story brick structure. It was located on 101 South Boyd Street. Construction costs were $1,736.
The T and G Railroad line was purchased by the Seaboard Airline Railroad in March, 1926. It was operated as a wholly owned subsidiary until August 1,1969. It then became a branch of the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad. The station closed on March, 1976.
The depot was sold by the Atlantic Coast Railroad Line in 1979 to the central Florida Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. The central chapter rehabilitated the building for use as its headquarters.
On August 13, 2012, the chapter voted to withdraw from the National Railway Historical Society. This entity runs the Central Florida Railroad Museum.
The chapter subsequently voted in 8/13/2012 to withdraw from the