The Mercury Theater is located at 3745 N. Southport Avenue in Chicago. It is located in close proximity to the Music Box Theater.
It opened as a Nickelodeon in 1912. It was called the Blaine. Later it featured silent films. It had one screen. The theater closed in 1920. It operated as carpet cleaning factory until 1947.
The building was purchased in 1947 by the DeKoven family. The building was used by multiple retail establishments..
In 1994, it was purchased by Michael Cullen and Joe Carlucci. They converted the building into a 300 seat legitimate theater. It was named the Mercury. The debut play was Pope Joan in 1996. There were two restaurants in the building.
In 2005, the Mercury Building was auctioned by Inland Real Estate Auctions.
In 2010, The Mercury and it’s two adjacent restaurant spaces were purchased by an investment group.