Probably one of the most elaborate and one of the largest movie theaters on the north side of Chicago was the Granada Theater. It was built in the Spanish Baroque Style. It was located at 6427 N. Sheridan Road in Rogers Park. It was built for the Marks Brother Circuit. The architect was Edward Eichenbaum.
The Granada opened in 1926. It was designed for live stage shows and movies. It had one screen. Its capacity was 3,448 seats.
The theater was sold to Balaban and Katz chain in 1932. After a brief closure, it reopened in 1933. It began showing double feature films. By the 1940’s, the Granada was only showing movies. During the ensuing years, the theater was managed by United Paramount, ABC Great States and Plitt Theaters. It closed in 1978.
From 1978 until the mid 1980’s, it was occasionally used for rock concerts.
The theater was purchased by Senior Life Styles Corporation . They demolished the building in 1989–1990. A joint venture of SLC (senior life styles corporation) and Loyola Development Company was responsible for construction of a 16 story mixed use complex to be called the Granada Center. The project began in March, 1990 and completed by spring, 1991.
The plan was for 166 rental apartments and a parking garage. There was to be 75,000 square feet of rental retail and office space.
Loyola University was to occupy 31,000 square feet of office space on the second, third, and fourth floors. The ground floor and the balance of the second floor was to be occupied by retail shops, convenience and service businesses.
The architect for the project was the firm of Mann, Gin, Ebel & Frazier, Limited. Project cost was $24.5 million. Financing was through American National Bank and Trust Company of Chicago.
The building was subsequently purchased by Loyola University. This was used for student apartments, retail space and university offices.