Written: 1/9/2018 There have been 2 bridges at this site The current bridge crosses the north branch Chicago River (1129 West; 1200 North) between Goose Island and the mainland. It is located 3 miles from the river mouth. It is also known as the Charles Levy Bridge. It was opened in June 4, 1904. It was composed of 700 tons of steel and 500 tons of counter weight
It consists of one main span and and four approach spans. It is a complex part through part pony truss bascule bridge. The main span is 149 feet in length. The structure length is 242 feet. Roadway width is 36 feet. There are three truss structures supporting two 18 foot roadways. There are two 8 foot sidewalks.
Bridge houses were rebuilt in the 1930’s; new center locks were installed; there was machinery renewal and deck replacement. In 1942, the bridge was redecked;there was structural steel repairs. In the 1950’s, plank roadway was replaced with open steel grids. In the 1960’s, operator houses were replaced. In 1993, the bridge was completely rehabbed. The bridge was changed to fixed status.
Contractors were :
Design: Department of Bridges and Viaducts
Superstructure Contractor: J.E. Roemheld
Substructure Contractor: FitzSimons and Connell
Cost was. $256,315
It is refreshing to see an historic bridge in this area considering the modern ones located at North Avenue, Division Street over the North Branch Channel and the Halsted Avenue.
The first West Division Street Bridge opened in 1869. It was the first combination wood and iron swing bridge. It was a Howe truss. It was 180 feet long and 29 feet wide.It had a small bridge house.
Design: Fox and Howard
Construction: Fox and Howard
Construction costs where $15,795.
Bridge was removed on May 1, 1902
Photos added 4/12/2018
The city of Chicago has planned to replace the 114 year old Division Street Bridge over the North Branch of the Chicago River in 2019. The group Friends of Goose Island is floating the plan to move the bridge farther North to create a pedestrian and bike path at Blackhawk Street.