Currently, Thomas Edison Congregational Church is located at 1619 Llellyn Drive, Fort Myers Florida. The church was founded in 1925 by O.T. Anderson. Initially, services were held at the Ritz Theater and later the ArcadianTheater.
The first church building was built in 1925. It was located a block from McGregor. The first floor served as the church. The pastor’s residence was on the.second floor. The building that served as the first church still exists as a private residence at 1462 Alhambra, Fort Myers.
In 1930, money was raised to purchase lots.for a new church building at 1619 Llellyn Drive. This was built on 4 lots. First services in this new location were November 1, 1931. Members of the congregation included Thomas Edison and wife, Henry Whitcomb and Robbie Newton.
In 1964, the name of the church was changed to Thomas Edison Congregational Church. In 1980, the church joined the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches. The church is self governing. This means the duties and responsibilities are shared by all members.