There is a historic railroad depot at 410 Vine Street Saint Joseph, Michigan. It was originally built for the Pere Marquette Railroad. It was built in 1913. It has a large covered platform which was built to handle heavy summer traffic.
The depot is currently a passenger stop on the Amtrak Grand Rapids to Chicago Pere Marquette Line. The current waiting room is only a fraction in size of the original. The depot is owned by the city of Saint Joseph, Michigan.
A substantial portion of the depot was remodeled to create a space for a restaurant. This was Roxy’s Diner for several years until 2002. After this it briefly the Sunset Grill until 2003. The depot currently houses the Silver Beach Pizza Parlor.
The railroad tracks adjacent to the station date to 1869. The Chicago and Michigan Lake Shore Line completed tracks between New Buffalo and Saint Joseph, Michigan. The railroad went into bankruptcy in 1873. It was reorganized as the Chicago and West Michigan Railroad. This company grew and prospered extending from La Cross to Traverse City, Michigan. Around 1900, the Railroad became part of the Pere Marquette Line. Saint Joseph was then on the Pere Marquette main line running from Detroit to Chicago. The Pere Marquette made many improvements including a swing bridge over the Saint Joseph River.