McKee Botanical Gardens is located on 350 US Highway 1, Vero Beach, Florida. It is a non for profit cultural organization.
Originally the 80 acre property was purchased in 1922 by Arthur McKee and Waldo Sexton. It was intended for citrus farming. However, they decided it should be used for a botanical garden. They hired a tropical landscape architect to develop the park.It opened in 1932. It featured trails, ponds and streams. In the 1940s, it averaged 100,000 visitors per year. During the 1970’s, attendance dropped . The botanical.garden closed. The property was sold to a developer.
18 of the original acres were saved and converted into a smaller park. The park features Royal Palm Grove, giant mushroom, bamboo trail, live oak trail, Children’s garden, Wall of Giants (Walls Section structure with a large mahogany table)
On January 7, 1998, the park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.