This bridge opened in December, 1935. It was named after former governor Huey P. Long. The bridge type is metal cantilever 22 panel multiple type connected Baltimore through truss, fixed and approach spans: metal 14 panel rivet connected Pennsylvania through truss fixed. There are three main spans. Main span length is 790 feet. Structure length is 22,996 feet. Width is 84 feet. It carries a two track railroad line–New Orleans Belt Railroad. There are three lanes of US 90 on either side of the railroad tracks. The East Bank entrance is at Elmwood, Louisana. The West Bank is at Bridge City.
This bridge was the first over the Mississippi River in Louisiana. It was built by the American Bridge Company of New York. It was designed by Ralph Modeski.