Washington Park Square Square Chicago, Il Fountain
Washington Square Park is located at 901 N. Clark Street Chicago. This 3 acre park dates back to 1842. James Fitch, Orasmua Bushnell, and Charles Butler of the America Land Company donated the land for a park that would be named Washington Square Park. Eventually fine residences and churches sprung up around the park.
In 1869, the park was improved with lawn, trees and bisect ing walkways. In the 1890’s, a Victorian fountain was installed. Unfortunately, it only lasted a decade.
In 1906, Alderman McCormick donated his salary to improve the park. He also paid for a new fountain. City spent. $ 10,000 for improvements. The park was landscaped by Jens Jensen.
By the 1910, the neighborhood became diverse. Surrounding mansions were converted to flop houses. The park was known by residents as Big House Square. The area became a forum for amateur orators.
In 1959, the city transferred the park to the Chicago Park District. The McCormick fountain was removed in the 1970’s.
The park was improved in the 1990’s. A new fountain was installed. Period lighting was added. Peripheral fencing was installed. There was also added landscaping.