This is also known as the South Pond Refectory. This is a historical building and restaurant located at the edge of Lincoln Park Zoo. It was built in 1908. The architect was Dwight Perkins.
The building is noted for its green roof and red brick wall. The second floor was a ballroom. The architectural style is Prairie. The building construction was financed by the Brauer family. The long term proprietor was Casper Brauer. The restaurant was one the most popular during the earlier 20th century. It closed in 1940.
At that time, the second floor was opened to the public for various dancing activities. The building was renamed the Lincoln Field House. By the 1960’s, the building was used for storage.
In 1987, the building underwent a 4.2 million dollar restoration project. The second floor was renovated for private events. The first floor became a small restaurant and ice cream parlor. Cafe Brauer was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
The site of Cafe Brauer previously was occupied by a wood boat house and restaurant. It was designed by William LeBaron Jenney. It was in existence from 1882 to 1908. It was named South Pond Refectory.