The Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company building was constructed from 1898–2006. The building was located at One South State Street, Chicago. In 1890 at this site, Schlesinger and Mayer hired Adler and Sullivan to remove the attic story of the Bowen Building and add two stories here and and at the adjacent building to the south. In 1898, the original building at State and Madison was removed. It was replaced with a nine story building designed by Sullivan. In 1902, Schlesinger had Sullivan extend the building to 12 stories The building was originally occupied by Schlesinger Around 1904 the store was sold by Schlesinger and Mayer to Harry G. Selfridges for a department store. There was a short turn around in the same year when the building was sold to Carson, Pirie, Scott and Company.
The building was 12 stories. It is a steel framed structure. There are large bay windows separated by bands of terra cotta.
Samuel Carson, John T. Pirie, and George and Robert Scott bought the store in 1904. The architect was Louis Sullivan. Before acquiring this building, Carson’s was located in the Reliance Building one block North on State Street. Daniel Burnham supervised the 1906 additions. The 1960-61 additions were made by Holabird and Root. Exterior renovations were made by John Vinci in 1979-1980.
In 1988, PA. Bergner purchased the Carson’s Building. Since 1988, Saks has been the owner.
Buildings previously located at this site were: Schlesinger and Mayer Building ( 1872), Johnge’s Hotel and the Windsor Craft Hotel