This house is located at 225 Greenwood Street, Evanston,Illinois. It was built in 1894-5. Building costs were $40,000. The house is on a 2 acre lot. It was purchased in 1888 for a cost of $40,000. The original owner was Reverend D. Sheppard, DD. He was the Treasurer and Business Manager of Nortwestern University and Garrett Biblical Institute.It
The architect of the house was Henry Edwards Flicken. There is a coach house adjacent to the main house. It was built in 1892-3. The architect was Clinton J. Warner.
The main house was 3 and one half stories. Its exterior was variegated tan and orange brick with red sandstone trim. There is a ceramic tile terra cotta roof. There are 25 rooms,6 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, and 13 fireplaces.
The coach house had 4 horse stalls, 2 cow stalls and servants quarters on the second floor. The first Floor is now used for storage. The second floor is now used as a rental apartment.
The house was sold to Charles G.Dawes in 1909 for $75,000.
A conservatory once was attached to the main house. It was razed in 1960. A green house was attached to the coach house. It was razed in 1941.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.