This building is located at 3254 N. Halsted, Chicago. This was built for Mandel Brothers Department Store as warehouse for storage of dry goods. The construction project was plagued by strikes but was eventually completed in 1903.
The architectural style of the building was a combination of late 19th and early 20th century Revival and Italian Renaissance. The architects were Holabird and Roche.
Mandel Brothers was a Chicago department store. The first store opened in 1855 at State and Van Buren. The store had several locations in the 1870’s. By the 1880’s, the store was located at State and Madison. By 1880’s, the store employed 800 people. By the beginning of the 20th century, there were 3000 employees. The store was rebuilt in 1912 and was renovated in 1948. The store began to decline in the 1960’s. It closed in the 1970’s.
The Warehouse building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August, 1993. Currently it is used as a residence predominately lofts