In 1929, the Marshal Field Department Store opened another a new store in Evanston at the corner of Sherman Avenue and Church Street.
It was a five story building with 125,000 square feet of space. It featured a marble and limestone facade. The interior featured chandeliers, wood trim and casing around the windows. There was wood panelling. There were marble panels around the elevators. There were were art deco ceilings.
The Field Company made the decision to close the Evanston store in in 1987. The property was purchased by Centrum Properties. This was a developer that specialized in building rennovations. They enlisted the services of Booth Hansen and associates ( Chicago architectural firm). This firm developed a renovation plan for the project.
The new design resulted in 52 apartments and 40,000 square feet of retail space. A new roof was installed. New windows were put in place. Total cost was $10,000,000. Building was renamed the Galleria.