This theater was designed by the Boller Brothers of Kansas City. It was built by Marion Sumerrour, third mayor of Shawnee. It opened as the Mission Theater on Labor Day, 1927. It had 500 seats.
In 1942, the theater was managed by Dickinson Theaters. The named was changed to the Aztec. It operated under this management until the 1970’s.
It was purchased by the Pflumm family. The name was changed to the Fine Arts Theater. It was closed for remodeling in 1975. It never reopened. For a period, it was used as bank storage.
In 2005, it was being remodeled by the Fine Arts Group to replace their theater in Mission, Kansas. The current Marquee was was obtained from the closed Plaza Theater in in Abilene, Kansas. The theater currently is currently not opened.
In 2019, it was announced that that the theater would open as the Aztec.