This school was originally known as Dunbar High. It was built in 1927. It is located at 1857 High Street. Construction costs were $99,000. The school was named after a well known black poet, Paul Lawrence Dunbar.
In 1977, the building was converted to a Community Education Center. The first coordinator was Jim Stephens. He was a community leader and a former basketball coach of the high school.
This building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in February, 1992.