The Music Box Theater is a historic theater located in Chicago at 3733 North Southport Avenue. It opened in August of 1929. It had a single screen. It had a seating capacity of 800. The construction costs were $110,000. The complete building included nine store fronts and 32 apartments. The cost of the entire building cost $260,000. The architect was Louis A. Simon. The theater was operated by Lasker and Sons. Style was atmospheric. The auditorium ceiling was dark blue cove lit with twinkling stars and moving clouds. There is plaster ornamentation of the walls of the auditorium. There are round towers, faux marble Lothian and ogee arched organ chambers reminiscent of the walls surrounding an Italian courtyard.
Between 1977 and 1983, the theater was used for Spanish Language films, Arabic films and pornographic films.
The Music Box was closed until 1983. Three business men formed the Music Box Theater Corporation. They were Robert Chaney, Christopher Carlo and Stan Hightower. They restored the building and reopened it. The new format was double feature revival and repertory films. Foreign films, cult films and independent films were added.
In 1991, a 100 seat movie auditorium was built in an existing storefront adjacent to the lobby. It was remodeled in 2013. A digital projector and new audio system were installed. The auditorium acoustics were improved. New seats were installed
In 2015, a bar and a lounge were added in the storefront directly to the north of the original building.