In 1915, a theater opened in Evanston, Il at 817 Chicago Avenue. It was called the Triangle. It had one screen and seating for 811. Its style was art deco. In the 1920’s, it was renamed the Park. In the later 1920’s, there was another name change to the New Main.
In the 1936, the theater was acquired by Balaban and Katz. It underwent remodeling in the same year. The architects were Periera and Periera. Another name change occurred in the 1937–the Coronet.
For many years, the theater continued to show first run features. However, beginning in the 1970’s, the Coronet was unable to compete with larger multiplex theaters in the area. It stopped function as a movie theater in 1984. It operated as an occasional concert venue until the 1990’s. It was demolished in 2000.
Unless otherwise indicated all photos and text are copyrighted