The Bryn Mawr Theater opened at 1125 W. Bryn Mawr in the Edgewater Neighborhood in 1912. It had one screen and a capacity of 790 seats. It featured a Wurlitzer organ. This was used during the silent films and during live shows. An empty lot in the back was used for parking. The architects were Rapp and Rapp. It was managed by Balaban, H&E.
During its existence, the theater offered a variety of entertainment including serial movies, vaudeville, magic shows, and feature films. Later in its history, it featured second run films.
In the 1960’s, it was renamed the New Bryn Mawr Theater.
In the 1980’s, it was renamed the Gar Wah Theater. It ran Chinese and mainstream Hollywood Films. This theater closed in 1988.
Since this time, the building was used for retail and storage.