One of the buildings comprising the Old Chicago Water Tower District is the Chicago Avenue Pumping Station. It is located at 821 N. Michigan Avenue. Like the Water Tower, it was designed by William Boyington in a style known as Castellated Gothic Revival Style.. Its walls were made of limestone mined either in Lemony or Joliet. Likely the material was shipped from these locations to Chicago on the Illinois Michigan Canal.
Built in 1869, the Chicago Pumping Station is a two story building with a low pitched roof and turrets in each of the four corners of the building. It houses a pump which has the capacity to pump up to 18 million gallons of Lake Michigan water a day.