Posted and expanded 1/28/2018.
There is currently no bridge at this site. Between 1868 and 1978, there were two bridges crossing north to south the South Branch Chicago River at Throop Street (1400 west; 2470 south) 5.3 miles from the river mouth.
The first bridge opened in 1868. It was a twin arch wood and iron swing bridge hand operated. It was 152 in length. It provided a connection between Bridgeport and the southwest side of Chicago. In 1878, the bridge was replanked and repainted. In 1889, new wheels were installed on the turntable and the bridge was rehabbed. In 1893, the bridge approaches were rebuilt and replanked. In 1897, the turntable was refurbished.
Design: Fox and Howard
Construction: Fox and Howard
Construction costs were $12,650. Bridge was removed in 1902.
The second bridge was opened on March 1, 1903. It was built by the Chicago Sanitary District. It was an electric powered Scherzer Rolling lift bascule bridge. It has a history of multiple repairs.
Design: Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Company
Superstructure Contractor: American Bridge Company
Substructure Contractor: Lydon and Drews Company
Construction costs were $189,648. Bridge was removed in 1978.
Photos added 4/9/2018