Blog Posted and completed on 1/26/2018
There is no current bridge at Taylor Street. There were two bridges crossing east to west at Taylor Street (1000 South; 300 West) at the South Branch of Chicago River 2.5 miles from the river mouth.
Beginning in the 1880’s, local property owners lobbied for a bridge at this site. In 1890, a deal was reached. The West Chicago Street Railway Company offered to pay $25,000 for the bridge foundation. In return, they could use the bridge for its tracks. The former Adams Street Bridge superstructure was refurbished and installed at Taylor Street. The bridge was a swing iron hand operated.
Designer: Keystone Bridge Company
Superstructure Contractor: Bridge was refurbished by City day labor
Substructure Contractor: Chicago Dredge and Dock Company
Construction cost were $40, 380. The bridge was removed on May, 11, 1899.
Second bridge at this site opened on February, 1901.
Designer: Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Company
Construction Contractor: Chicago Bridge and Iron Company
Construction costs were $107,323. Bridge was removed between December 6, 1928 to February 6, 1929.
Photos added 4/21/2018