Between 1860 and 1971, there have been three Erie Street Bridges (610 West: 670 North) over the North Branch Chicago River 1.9 miles from the river mouth.
The first Erie Street Bridge opened in 1856. It was a wood pontoon swing bridge hand operated. In 1865, a flood swept the bridge away. It was salvaged and rebuilt. It was in service until 1971.
The designer and contractor are unknown. Construction costs were $5,000.
The second bridge at this site opened April, 1871. It was a swing wood hand operated structure. It was 200 feet long and 32 feet wide.
In 1889, the bridge turntable was rebuilt, the bridge house was relocated, the structure was repainted. In 1895, the bridge floor was reinforced for street cars. In 1899, the city made repairs after a crash with a steamer Charles Eddy.
Designer: Fox and Howard
Construction: Fox and Howard.
Construction costs were $30,000. The bridge collapsed under its own weight on May 18, 1908.
The third bridge at Erie Street opened on February, 1910. It was an all steel electric powered double leaf bascule bridge. It had only two support trusses.
Designer: Division of Bridges and Viaducts City of Chicago
Superstructure Contractor: King Bridge Company
Substructure Contractors: FitzSimons and Connell
Construction Costs were $216,000.
Bridge was removed on November, 1971
Photos added 4/11/2018