There is no current bridge at this site. There was only one bridge at Blackhawk Street. The bridge crossed the North Branch Canal (1000 West; 1500 North) 3 miles from the Chicago River mouth. It opened in May, 1902. The bridge superstructure was the old West Division Street Bridge. It was a lost Pony truss, iron and wood, hand operated swing bridge. It was 180 feet long and 29 feet wide. City laborers repaired the sidewalks, fences, roadway, chord coverings; overhauled turntable spider rods,drums and locks;rehabbed the bridge house. FitzSimons and Connell built the substructure.
Design: Fox and Howard
Superstructure Contractor: Fox and Howard
Substructure Contractor: FitzSimons and Connell.
On June 2,1904, steamer Black Rock collided with the bridge. Bridge was removed and rebuilt. It was returned to operation on 12/1/1904. Bridge was permanently removed April 9, 1910.
Photos added 4/11/2018