Revised and expanded 1/22/2018
The Harrison Street Bridge ( 322 West; 420 South) crosses East to West the South Branch of the Chicago River 2.4 miles from the mouth. It opened on August 23, 1960. The current bridge is he third at this site. It has four lanes of traffic. The largest span is 209.9 feet. The total length of the structure is 278.8 feet. Bridge width is 43.9 feet. There is one main span and three approach spans.
The bridge description is metal-rivet connected Pratt Railing Height Truss, movable double leaf bascule (fixed trunnion) and approach spans: metal stringer (multibeam) fixed.
Bridge contractors included:
Design: Division of Bridges and Viaducts City of Chicago
Divane Brothers Electric Company
Substructure: M.J. Boyle and Company
Superstructure: Overland Construction Company
Bridge Inspection as of 12/2012
Deck Condition Rating Satisfactory 6 out of 9
Superstructure Condition Rating Satisfactory 6 out of 9
Substructure Condition Rating Fair 5 out of 9
Beginning in the 1870’s, local residents around Harrison Street began lobbying for a bridge at this site. In 1877, the bridge opened. It was an iron swing hand operated structure. It was 175 feet long and 31 feet wide.
Construction: American Bridge
Construction costs were $24,875. Bridge was removed in 1902.
2nd Harrison Street Bridge opened in 1905. It was a Scherzer Rolling Lift Bascule Bridge electric powered. It was 185 feet long and 51 feet wide.
Designer: Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Company
Superstructure Contractor : Jackson and Corbett Company
Substructure Contractor: Lydon Drews
Construction costs were $272,606. Bridge was removed on December, 1959.