The Congressway parkway Bridge ( 320 West; 400 South) crosses the South Branch Chicago River east to west 2.4 miles from the river mouth. It is the only bridge at this site. It opened on August 10, 1956.
It connects Chicago downtown with the Eisenhower Expressway. It is not a single bridge but side by side twin double leaf bascule bridges. Each is 298 feet a long and 43 feet wide. Each bridge carries 4 lane of traffic.
Bridge description is metal rivet-connected Warren deck truss: movable : double leaf bascule (fixed trunnion). There is one main span and 2 approach spans. The bridge was named the Wagner Memorial Bridge after a deceased Chicago Alderman. The bridge underwent a 33 million dollar rehab 2010–2012.
Design: Division of Bridges and Viaducts, City of Chicago
Superstructure Contractor: Overland Construction Company
Substructure Contractor: M.J. Boyle and Company.
Construction costs were $5 million.
Bridge Inspection 8/2012
Deck. Condition Rating Excellent. 9 out of 9
Superstructure. Condition Rating. Satisfactory 6 out of 9
Substructure Condition. Rating. Satisfactory 6 out of 9
Sufficiency Rating. 68 out of 100