Revised and updated 1/18/2018
The current Jackson Boulevard Bridge (375West; 300 South) crosses east to west the South Branch of the Chicago River 2.2 miles from the river mouth. It is the second bridge at this site . It is also known as the U.S. 66 bridge. It opened on January 29, 1916. It was rehabbed in 1993.
The bridge type is metal rivet-connected Pratt Deck Truss (roadbed rests on top of the truss), movable double leaf bascule (Strauss trunnion) and approach spans : metal stringer (multi-beam), fixed. There is one main span and three approach spans. The main span measures 202 feet. Structure length is 273 feet. Roadway width measures 37 feet.
At each side of the bridge are bridge tender houses. Style is Beaux Arts. Shape of the houses is octagonal. External veneer is pebble aggregate.
Superstructure Strobel Steel Construction Company of Chicago
Substructure Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company
Engineer/Design. Strauss Bascule Bridge Company of Chicago
The first Jackson Boulevard Bridge opened on August 25, 1888. It was a 3 Pratt truss steel swing bridge. It was initially steam powered. It was 280 feet long and 58 feet wide. It’s center pier was near the West bank. In 1897, the bridge was converted to electric power. In 1899, the deck was replanked and repaved. The iron work below the bridge deck was repainted. The entire structure was overhauled. In 1906, the deck was replanked and repaved. New side walks were built.
Superstructure Contractor: Detroit Bridge Company
Substructure Contractor: FitzSimons and Connell Company
Construction costs were $131,633.
The bridge was removed In 1915.
Deck Condition. Rating. Good. 7 out of 9
Superstructure Condition. Rating. Fair. 5 out of 9
Substructure Condition. Rating. Fair. 5 out 9
Appraisal functionally obsolete