Revised and expanded on 1/10/2018
The current bridge is the fourth bridge at this site. It crosses North to South ( 600 West; 1047 North) the North Branch Chicago River 2.6 miles from the river mouth. This is a modern double leaf bascule bridge. It has deck trusses. There is a single bridge house. There are four lanes of traffic. There is one main span and four approach spans. The main span measures 154 feet in length. The structure length is 267 feet. Roadway width is 46 feet
It opened on October 5,1955. The bridge is now a fixed bridge.
Designer: Department of Bridges and Viaducts City of Chicago
Superstructure Contractor was Overland Construction Company. Bid $1,657,329
Electrical Contractor was Fries Walter Company. Bid $261,691.
Bridge tender house Contractor was Walsh Construction Company. Bid 139,982.
Northern approach viaduct Contractor was Michael McDermott Company. Bid $103,986.75.
Demolition Contractor for the previous bridge was Pielet Scrap Iron and Metal Company. Bid $127,405.
The bridge underwent rehabilitation in 2012. Included in the project were replacement of floor beams, deck stringers and lateral bracing. Bridge railings were replaced.
The first Halsted Street Bridge at this site was financed with $ 2500 subscriptions from local land owners and $4500 from the city of Chicago. It opened in 1866. It was an all wood hand operated bridge. It had a center pier. It was 140 feet long and 20 feet wide.
Designed: Fox and Howard
Construction: Fox and Howard
It was removed in 1877.
The second bridge at this location opened on September 1, 1877. It was a swing wood and iron truss hand operated structure.
Designed: William B. Howard
Superstructure Contractor: William B. Howard
Substructure Contractor: Chicago Dock and Dredge Company
Construction costs were $14,000.
The bridge was removed In 1896
The third bridge at Halsted Street opened on January 19, 1897. It was a steel electric powered Scerzer Rolling Lift bascule bridge. There were 2 sets of street car tracks in the center and wagon roadways on either side. There were 6 foot sidewalks on either side.
In 1910, the bridge was redecked.
In 1923 the bridge was extensively rehabbed.
Designer: Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Company
Superstructure Contractor: King Bridge Company
Substructure Contractor: Wilson and Jackson
Construction cost were $11,000
Bridge removed March 1,1955
Bridge Inspection (Current bridge) as of 9/2011
Deck Condition rating good. 7 out of 9
Superstructure Condition rating serious 3 out 9
Substructure Condition rating fair 5 out of 9.
Appraisal: Structurally deficient.