The 95th Street traffic bridge over the Calumet River is 2.8 miles from the entrance of Calumet Harbor. It lies between the Ewing Avenue traffic bridge and the Norfolk Southern Railroad Bridge. The current bridge is the third one at this site.
The first bridge was built in 1891. It was a hand operated Howe truss swing bridge. It was constructed by the Chicago Forge and Bolt Company. In 1899, the bridge split in two falling into the river blocking navigation.
The second bridge was built in 1903. It was described as a fixed trunion bascule bridge. It was built by Roemheld and Gallery. Its dimension were 319.5 feet long and 60 feet wide. This bridge was operational for 50 years.
Planning for the current bridge began in the early 1950’s. Construction began in 1955. It was operational on 6/271958. This is a six lane bridge. Clearance between the river and the bridge is 21 feet.
The bridge design is pony truss bascule. The builder of the bridge was Overland Construction Company. Engineer/Design was the city of Chicago. Main span length is 239 feet. Structure length is 343 feet. Roadway width is 62 feet.
Inspection as of 10/2011 is as follows. Deck condition 6 out of 9 Satisfactory. Superstructure 4 out of 9 Poor. Substructure 5 out of 9 Fair. Overall appraisal structurally deficient.
An interesting fact about this bridge is that it was featured in a film sequence of the Blues Brothers.