Now called Saint John’s United Church of Christ, this religious group.organized in 1858 by Reverend Charles Haas of Michigan City, IN as the German Evangelical Church. Their building was completed in 1862–1863 and was built across Buffalo Street on the site of Pokorney’s Hardware. The building was moved to.its present site in 1890. The church has been modernized greatly over the years, including the additional of an annex , which was the little German School on the old parsonage grounds.