In 1954, Albert Blackburn donated a plot of land at 404 Warfield, Venice to the Union Missionary Baptist Church. Local architect donated his services, local builder donated surveying, and local businesses and churches donated money and material to the effort.
The pastor Reverend Joseph Daugherty and the parishioners opted to build the church themselves. Daugherty was a mason and brick layer and did the bulk of the work. Still under construction, the church was dedicated on Easter Sunday 1955.
Reverend James Sims succeeded Daugherty in 1956. He oversaw an expansion in 1960 for a space that was used for education, recreation, and dining. The building was significantly damaged by a flood from a busted sewage pipe in 2003. It was 2 years before the church reopened.