The Historic City Hall of Port Townsend,Washington is located at the corner and Water and Madison Streets. It was designed by architects Bratwell and Patrick. Construction began in 1891 and completed in 1892. It was a three story red brick building with carved sandstone and a decorative sheet metal and multifaceted roof.
It was designed as a multipurpose civic structure to house administrative offices, city council chambers, court rooms, fire hall and jail.
In the 1930’s, substantial maintenance of the building was finished under the Civil Works Administration. In 1945, a violent storm damaged the towers of the building and the roof.In the 1940’s, the roof and this floor were removed.
In 1951, the Jefferson County Historical Museum opened in the old city hall building. More remodeling took place in the museum. The fire and police departments, police court, jail and administrative offices moved into more modern facilities. The museum expanded into these vacated spaces.
In 2005, the city of Port Townsend and Jefferson County Society raised money to restore the building in 2005. In the same year, the city constructed a new adjacent building.
The city hall annex was completed in 2006. It is 11,700 sq. feet. It is a two story brick building. Total cost of old building renovation and new building construction was 4.6 million dollars.