In 1880, Logan Drake purchased 20 to 22 acres of sand dunes along Lake Michigan in Saint Joseph from Native Americans. On this property, Logan Drake and his partner Louis Wallace opened Silver Beach Amusement Park in 1891. They were also partners in a boat construction company in addition to the Silver Beach Amusement and Realty Company. The park was located below the bluffs of downtown of Saint Joseph, Michigan. A Pete Marquette Railroad Station was also built in this area in 1913.
Initially, a boardwalk was built in the area. Local merchants opened up stands to sell novelities. In the early 1900’s, a bathouse, a roller skating rink and a a dance pavilion were constructed. Games of chance were added.
One of the roller coasters was named Chase through the Clouds. It operated from 1905 to 1923. It was a sit down wooden coaster with a figure of 8 course. It was designed by John A.Miller.The builder was Frank Ingersoll. A second Coaster was named the Comet (aka the Velvet Coaster). It was a wooden sit down coaster. It was designed by John A. Miller. It opened in 1924 and closed in 1971.
From 1910 to 1920, the merry go round, Shadowland Ballroom, Funhouse, Bumper Cars, Ferris Wheel, and the penny arcade were added. Other rides were the Toboggan Slide, Carousel.
Over the years, attendance gradually dropped at the park. Finally, after operating many years it closed in 1971.