The Sioux City, Iowa Orpheum Theater is located at 528 S. Pierce Street. It was built in 1927. It was designed by the Chicago Firm of Rapp and Rapp.It was part of the Orpheum Circuit of movie and vaudeville palaces. The major builder was Arthur Sanford. Construction costs were 1.7 million dollars. Style is late 19th and 20th century Revival, French Renaissance.
The theater featured hand carving detail, gilded ornamentation, crystal chandeliers, hand painted ceiling. It had a large Wurlitzer organ.
Over the years, the theater was remodeled multiple times. In 1982, it was converted to a twin facility with two screens. The facility operated in this configuration until 1992. It closed at that time.
In 1999, the Orpheum underwent an extensive 12 million dollar remodel. The architect for this project Ed Storm. The theater reopened in 2001.
The Orpheum Theater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on.August 25, 20oo