The Tampa Southern Railroad (Subsidiary of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad) first entered Sarasota , Florida in May, 1924. The first passenger trained arrived in December, 1924. The first depot was a combination of freight and temporary passenger building. It was located north of Fruitville Rd.
The first permanent depot was built in 1925. It was located at 1 South School Avenue, Sarasota, Florida. The architect was M. Alpheus Griffin. The building style was mission. Features included white stucco, red pantiled roof, and a large shell shaped elliptical planter. There were separate passenger waiting rooms for white and black customers.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 22 1984. It was delisted on July 25, 2018. The building was demolished on January, 1986.