The Milwaukee Pierhead Lighthouse is still active. It is located south of downtown Milwaukee. It is west of the Milwaukee Breakwater Light. It is near the outflow of the Milwaukee River.
The Pierhead Lighthouse was built in 1872. Its foundation is is concrete pier. It is a round steel tower 41 feet in height.. It has a round gallery and a 10 sided lantern. For years, the lighthouse was manned by a keeper. It is now automated.
The tower was repainted in 2007.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November, 2012.