The earliest stop on the FEC railroad in the Vero Beach area was a whistle stop at mile marker 350. The first station was a small one story wooden structure. It was built in 1903 by Henry Flagler. There was a separate freight station.
In 1916, the passenger station was expanded;an observation bay was installed as was a new door. In 1936, the depot was rehab bed to expand the ticket booth and add restrooms.
In the 1940’s, both the freight and passenger stations were busy. Troops were coming and leaving from Vero Beach Naval Air Station
In 1968, passenger service ended. Freight service ended in 1979. The passenger depot stood abandoned on the east side of the tracks on Commerce Avenue.
In 1984, the depot was purchased from the FEC railroad by the Indian County Historical Society. Cost was one dollar. It was moved one and one half miles to its new location at 2336 14th Avenue. An extensive rehab was undertaken before the depot reopened as a museum.
The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places 1987.
FEC Vero Beach Railroad Station