The Denver and Rio Grande Railroad Station is located at 119 Pitkin Avenue, Grand Junction, Colorado next to the still in use station.
Early on there had been small stations made with logs in this area. Beginning in the 1900’s, the town of Grand Junction was growing rapidly. By 1905, it was felt that the area merited a larger terminal. An architect from Chicago, Henry Schlacks was hired to design the new terminal. William Simpson Construction was retained for the project. $60,000 was set aside for the project. $15,000 was budgeted for development of the land around the station. Project began in 1905;station opened in 1906.
The station was a 2 story Italian Renaissance structure. The outer walls were white brick with terra cotta accents. In the passenger area, there was a glass canopy. There are large stained glass windows. The interior of the building has 22 foot ceilings. In the 1930’s, the waiting room was converted to two levels for second floor offices.Later, the second floor offices were removed.
During its active time, the following trains stopped at the station: California Zephyr; Desert Wind (Chicago to Los Angeles); Pioneer (Chicago to East Bay). Passenger service ended in 1992
Over the years, the building deteriorated. The building needed updating of the plumbing, electric and heating and air conditioning. Groups have attempted to renovate the building with little success. The building was purchased in 2015. Kraai was contracted for the renovation project. Plans are currently in flux. It is hoped that in the future, the station will be used by Amtrak.
The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992