Boca Grande first railroad station was a wooden frame structure. In 1910, It was replaced by a more impressive structure
The Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad Depot is a historic Railroad Station in Boca Grande, Florida. It is located at Park and 4th Streets. The southern end of the depot was built in 1910. An addition in 1913 brought the total length of the building to 141 feet. The depot was 2 stories. The style is was Mediterranean Revival. The facade is painted brick. There are corbels, arches and a red tile roof. The railroad executives had their offices on the second floor. They welcomed visitors and clients.
After 1958, the depot went into decline. By the 1970’s, it was in poor condition. In 1985, an island resident Wayne Stevenson carried out renovatioms. The depot is now carefully restored. It contains the Loose Caboose Restaurant and several shops and offices.
The railroad depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 13, 1979.
The Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad serviced Gasparilla Island and a major shipping port in the area. Its main purpose was to transport phosphate from mines along the Peace River and Bone Valley to a 70 foot channel at the mouth of Charlotte Harbor off Gasparilla Island Southern shore. A secondary role was to transport tourists to Boca Grande. The railroad was in service from 1907 to 1925. In the 1920’s, the line was acquired by the Seaboard Airline Railroad. The line continued to be use for passengers and transport of phosphate. The line diminished service until the 1950’s when it was discontinued. Part of the line is still in service between Mulberry and Acadia. This is owned and operated by CSX Transportation.
There is a bicycle path in Boca Grande called the Boca Grande Bike Path. It is a 6.5 mile path on Gasparilla Island. The northern portion runs on the former right of way of the former Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad.