This is a historic Seaboard Airline Railroad station in Naples, Florida. It is located at 1051 5th Avenue South. It was built in 1927. Architect was L. Phillips Clarke. The depot was constructed for Seaboard Air Line Rail Roard. Its style is Mediterranean Revival. This is the same style as that which was also used in the Seaboard stations in Delray Beach, Hialeah, and Homestead.
The station only had passenger service briefly in the late 1920’s. The Naples railroad line became freight only in 1933. Seaboard ended freight on the line in 1940’s.
The depot was used by the USO during World War 2. It serviced troops from nearby Naples airfield.
In 1944, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad bought the depot building and the Seaboard tracks to Naples. This was after Seaboard discontinued service. The Atlantic Coast Line connected the Seaboard tracks to their Fort Myers southern branch. Passenger service was resumed. Ironically, this was a station operated by the Seaboard Airline Railroad and the Atlantic Coastal Railroad at different times. The Atlantic Coast Line had a previous depot in Naples located at the northeast corner of Radio Road and Airport Pulling Road near the Naples Are report. This was demolished in the 1970’s.
The Seaboard Name returned to the depot in 1967 when the Atlantic Coast Line merged with Seaboard Airline as the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad.
Passenger service to the depot ended in 1971 when national passenger rail was taken over by Amtrak.
The Naples Depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in September, 1974.
Freight service on the Naples line ended in the late 1970’s
The station building has been restored by Collier County Museums. It is operated as the Naples Depot Museum. Its focus is the history of transportation and and in southwest Florida.
Vintage railroad cars are on display outside the museum.