The first bank at 133 West Marion Avenue was a state chartered institution in 1912. It was named Merchant’s Bank of Punta Gorda. It was located in a 2 story masonry neo classical commercial building. It was located across the street from the old Hotel Charlotte Harbor.
In 1914, the bank switched to a federal charter and was renamed the First National Bank of Punta Gorda.
By 1927, it was the most prosperous of the three Punta Gorda Banks. The collapse of the Florida land boom deflated land values. In 1929, all three banks in Punta Gorda collapsed. The First National Bank never reopened.
The bank building is the oldest existing one in Charlotte County. Currently the building is occupied by Serendipity Salon and Spa.
The bank building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.