Mark Garrison Hampton was born in Tampa, Florida in 1923. In 1941, he enrolled at Georgian Institute of Technology in Beaux Arts architecture program. His schooling was interrupted from 1943–1946 for service in the U.S Army Infantry, 42nd Division , Third Army Europe. From 1946 to 1949, he returned Georgia Tech and received his B.S. degree (1948) and Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1949.
In 1949, Hampton attended the Summer School of Architecture in Fontainebleau, France. In 1950, he taught at Georgia Tech School of Architecture. At the same time he was employed at Godin and Lambertson, Atlanta. In 1951, he was employed by Twitchell and Rudolph, Sarasota. They were both members of the Sarasota of Architecture. In 1952, he established his own firm in Tampa.
From 1953 to 1963, Hampton was the architect on the following projects:
Residence/Clinic Dr. George Morrison Tampa, Florida 1953
Lara Hampton Residence Tampa, Florida 1953
Jordan Residence Lake Wales, Florida 1956
Galloway’s Furniture Store, Tampa, Florida 1958
Saint Mary’s Episcopal Church, Tampa Florida 1960
Weiss Residence, Savannah Georgia 1960
Amaryllis Park Primary School, Sarasota, Florida 1961
McIntosh Student Center Middle School, Sarasota 1962
Horizon House, Tampa, Florida 1963; Webb Residence, Tampa 1967. Wolfe Residence, Miami 1967.
From 1966 to 1973, Hampton associated with H.Herbert Johnson Associates, Miami and Tampa
He was the architect of the Webb Residence Tampa, 1967. From 1965 to 1989, he served as director of the Patrick Lannan Museum Foundation in Palm Beach, Florida.