Jack West was an architect who practiced in Sarasota, Florida and briefly in California. He was one of the members of the Sarasota School of Architecture. He was born in Illinois in 1922. After serving in World War II, he attended Yale University School of Architecture. He graduated in 1949. He moved to Sarasota. His first position was with the firm of Twitchell and Rudolph as a draftsman and then an architect. He opened his own firm in 1951. He formed a partnership in 1953 — 1954 with Ralph Twitchell. From 1956 to 1960, he was in a partnership with Elizabeth Boylston Waters. In 1965, he joined Rolland W. W.Seller to do U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development work. In 1966 West partnered with engineer Al Conyers to create the firm of West and Conyers /Architects and Engineers which lasted into the 1990’s.
The so called Round House was built in 1960. It was constructed for Dorothy and Hilton Leech. They were prominent artists. The building was designed to be used as an art studio and residence. The architects were Jack West and Elizabeth Boylston Waters. Location Sarasota.
Nakomis Beach Pavilion. Architect Jack West. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in May 28, 2013. Nokomis, Florida
Knott’s Glass House. This house was built in 1953. It is located in Yankeetown,Florida. It features a flat roof, extreme use of glass and an open floor plan. The architects were Ralph Twitchell and Jack Webb
Jack West’s last project was renovation of the Nakomis Beach Pavilion
Jack West died in October 24, 2010.