This theater was originally the Avalon Theater and later the New Regal Theater. It is located at 1641 East 79th Street in Chicago. It opened on August 29, 1927. The architect was John Eberson. The style of the theater was atmospheric and Moorish Revival.
From 1927 to 1934, it served as a live performing venue. From 1935 to 1967, the theater served as a motion picture house. It closed from 1967 to 1970. Beginning in 1970, it operated as the Miracle Temple Church and a meeting place for 14 years. The building was purchased in 1985 by Edward and Bettiann Gardner. They were founders of the Soft Sheen Products Company.
The theater underwent an extensive two year renovation. It reopened as a performing arts venue with a new name the New Regal Theater.
In the 1980’s, the theater underwent another renovation. It was granted Chicago Landmark status on June 17, 1992. The Gardner’s closed the theater after 18 years of operation due to poor attendance and high operating costs.
The theater was purchased by Regina Evans in 2008. She secured funding for renovations; however this never happened.