The Babcock Ranch occupies land in both Charlotte and Lee Counties near Fort Myers. It was named after Edward Vose Babcock–a lumber baron and mayor of Pittsburgh. He purchased the land in 1914. The land was used for logging and agriculture.
In 2006, the Babcock Ranch Preserve Act made this area the first Florida Preserve for generating its own funding under a public private management partnership.