The original lighthouse in this region was built in 1893 for the World ‘s Columbian Exposition. It was moved to its current location in 1919.
The current structure is surrounded by rip rap. It has multiple levels. Its base is concrete. There are two red roofed buildings with a white cylindrical building between them. This building is topped by a parapet and the light itself.
The building is constructed of brick and cast iron. It is 60 feet in height.
The lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in July, 1984
Ownership of the building was transferred to the City of Chicago in February, 2009.